[erlang-questions] Erlang multicore on AMD: 24 cores (48 pseudocores)

Kannan vasdeveloper@REDACTED
Wed Apr 18 12:57:19 CEST 2012

Hi,

If you have required number of processes with sufficient processing, Erlang
VM makes sure that all the cores are used.

If you have "naturally independent" tasks, you can get them done be
independent process -- 50 or other number. Putting all the cores in one
machine VS having many machines totaling the same number of cores, must be
made based on your performance, scalability and availability(redundancy)
requirements.

In a production environment, generally, required redundancy is provided by
an active or standby redundant units. In an active-active setup, all the
boxes are processing at any given time, and when one fails, other box/boxes
will handle the load. I.e. the taking over box will have the capacity to
process its traffic and the traffic diverted from the failed box.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Kannan.