[erlang-questions] Erlang based Web Stack

Garrett Smith <>
Thu Apr 5 17:33:10 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Kannan <> wrote:
> Thanks guys, that is a lot of input.
> How is the support of OTP for multimedia content manipulation, transcoding
> etc? Or you advice to do it at the C level and communicate it to Erlang?
> Also, if someone has already invented the wheel of how good Erlang is
> compared to PHP, please share it with us.

Stats are sirens - they lure you in with lies and deceit and are
almost always dangerous!

That said, I ran some basic ab tests against a host of web servers a
few years ago. With these simplistic, flawed results, I came to the
rock solid conclusion that the only web platform that matched PHP for
performance and stability was Erlang.

The Erlang HTTP server was Mochiweb. But I've seen similar performance
characteristics with other Erlang servers.

> We would like to have a mega site purely on Erlang and C.

I think you're in very good hands with Erlang.

I'd also disagree with the comment that comparing Erlang and PHP is
comparing apples and oranges. Maybe at a very high, abstract level --
but you can certainly compare the two for building HTTP based

If it matters enough to your business to get this absolutely right --
you might want to build a benchmark app for your cases and measure the
various stacks you're curious about.

But anecdotally, I think Erlang is an *outstanding* platform for "mega" sites :)