[erlang-questions] Erlang newbie questions

Jon Watte jwatte@REDACTED
Fri Oct 21 23:22:49 CEST 2011

I had similar questions initially. However, you really should consider
"Erlang" to _be_ your OS. If Erlang crashes, it's as bad as if the OS kernel
crashes, which is as bad as if the hardware fails.
The nice thing with this is that, if your code crashes, things like sockets
can still survive. Similarly, even if your gen_server crashes, you get a
well-defined place to clean up your code if you want -- it's nothing as bad
as trying to do cleanup in SEGV signal handlers in C; instead it's a
well-defined part of the library!

The reason Erlang can give you these nice things is that it's isolated,
immutable, and based on a VM. The cost is, well, that it's isolated, you pay
copying overhead for immutable data, and some execution overhead of the VM.

Sincerely,

jw

--
Americans might object: there is no way we would sacrifice our living
standards for the benefit of people in the rest of the world. Nevertheless,