[erlang-questions] RecordA serialization ... time ... deserialization to RecordB?

Bob Gustafson bobgus@REDACTED
Fri Nov 11 22:09:10 CET 2011

How you implement your 'database' depends on whether you allow the
record structure to change over time without rewriting the whole
database.

A changeable structure database could be implemented by having a
serializable 'lump' for each record. The structure can be changed by
adding a new tag/value pair to the existing lump.

Each lump has a unique id number. External indexes can be constructed
for any/all tags with the id number as the index value.

An update of a record/lump would be done by consulting the index(es) for
each tag value of interest to determine the lump id value(s). The
resulting lump(s) would then be accessed, deserialized, (data values
changed, new tags/values added or deleted), lump(s) re-serialized, and
index(es) updated.

It can be a very simple database or a very complex database. The
advantage is that lumps written in the distant past can be accessed and
their data values utilized in the same way as newer lumps with more (or
less) tags/values.

I'm sure this scheme has been invented many times in the past.