[erlang-questions] Where's Dijkstra when we need him?

Matthew Evans mattevans123@REDACTED
Fri Nov 11 22:06:37 CET 2011

Indeed,I was a C/C++ developer until I was introduced to Erlang (thank you Steve Vinoski). I'm now in a new job, and although I've been told we will be using Erlang soon, I am now having to develop in Java. Talk about painful....
I've ended up looking back at my Java code, and it seems like I've gone and implemented an actor-model type framework in Java.
What annoys me the most is all the extra *crap* you need to know. It isn't enough to pick up your editor of choice and start coding...No, you need 15 different frameworks, 20 libraries, learn Maven, edit 10 XML file before you write "Hello World". Ugh....
I'm reminded of Paul Graham's beating the averages essay: http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html
I was once on the "top", now it seems like I've been demoted.

Having said that, I do agree that the Erlang community needs to organize itself a bit better: provide common API's, common interfaces, provide software consistency. I'm hoping that the alliances between Erlang Solutions, Basho and also Trifork can go a long way in enabling that.

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:42:12 +0200
From: matti.oinas@REDACTED
To: watson.timothy@REDACTED
CC: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Where's Dijkstra when we need him?

    The biggest problem with Erlang is that Java used to be fun but
    after learning Erlang things changed. I'm still forced to use Java
    and PHP at work and can use Erlang only for my own projects.

    Multithreading in Java is a challenge and if you take couple
    external libraries then you probably have a really big challenge.
    Big in this context means close to impossible :)