[erlang-questions] Web Framework dilemma

Thu May 26 13:12:55 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:17, Giovanni Giorgi <jj@REDACTED> wrote:

> I'd like to try a web framework which follows the erlang-way-of-life,
> which can teach me the erlang programming model.
>
> What do you suggest to me?

I'd say start by picking the project constraints first and then decide
upon what framework/solution to use afterwards. Some frameworks are
built upon a Model-View-Controller design whereas others are more like
"Here, have an embedded web server. Now you are on your own". What
suits you is up to the problem you have. Do you intend to use
websockets? Do you intend to generate lots and lots of HTML5? Well
there be Javascript in the frontend? What kind of data do you want to
store?

Some solutions can probably not satisfy all your wants and desires,
which will limit the playing field.

Personally, I would try to make the project focus on the Erlang part
more than the Web part. The Erlang part is what you want to learn
after all. This also suggests that using a "raw" webserver will teach
you more about Erlang. Some frameworks lure you in with how easy they
are, but then again, you are not really programming the language as
much as the framework.

--
J.