[erlang-questions] Upgrading TCP connection to SSL

Kaiduan Xie kaiduanx@REDACTED
Wed May 25 20:00:07 CEST 2011

For TCP upgrading to SSL, client and server coordination is required.
The following is used in XMPP protocol,

1) Client initiates TCP connection,
2) Server accepts the TCP connection,
3) Server sends a message to client to notify client that server
supports TCP upgrade to SSL,
4) Client receives the feature notification from server, and then
client sends starttls to server,
5) Upon receiving starttls from client, server sends back proceed to
client, server waits for SSL handshake,
6) Upon receiving proceed from server, client starts SSL handshake with server.

For more details please refer 5.3.  Client-to-Server Example

www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3290.txt

Thanks,

/Kaiduan