[erlang-questions] missing error reports from erlang.log.1

Pablo Platt pablo.platt@REDACTED
Sat May 21 10:50:11 CEST 2011

The errors I'm expecting to see in my test are {error,emfile} because of too many http connections.
My guess is that the error_logger need a file descriptor to write to the log file.
If I'm writing an error message with the error_logger before the test, the error_logger already has a file descriptor and can use it.
If I start the test before using the error_logger, when it tries to get a file descriptor and write to the log, there are no file descriptors left.

Shouldn't the error_logger get the file descriptor when starting the app automatically and be immune to this kind of problem?
Maybe there is still some config options/app missing in my release?

________________________________
From: Pablo Platt <pablo.platt@REDACTED>
To: "erlang-questions@REDACTED" <erlang-questions@REDACTED>
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:09 AM
Subject: [erlang-questions] missing error reports from erlang.log.1

I've created a release with rebar.
I'm starting the app with myapp/rel/myapp/bin/myapp start
Error reports are not being written to rel/myapp/log/error.log.1 although the file is created and the initialization text is written to it (LOGGING STARTED Sat May...).

If I'm writing one line with the error_logger in myapp_sup:init/1, compile and run the app, I do see error reports in the error.log.1 file.
The line is:

error_logger:error_msg("dummy error report~n")

Am I missing initialization of an app related to error logging or do I need to change some configurations?
Does the error_logger:error_msg fix it by forcing initialization of this app?

Thanks