[erlang-questions] DRY principle and the syntax inconsistency in fun vs. vanilla functions

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Fri May 20 16:51:12 CEST 2011

> Because (a) the generalisation I suggested was
>        end
> where <optname> is either a VARIABLE or omitted,
> and is identical in each clause.
> But '' is NOT a variable, now is it?

Thank you for the clarification. I see now that you had the fun "name" in
upper case, in the code sample on the other thread. Perhaps that's enough
for most people on this list to infer -- automatically and immediately --
that you really meant "variable" even when you were saying "name". But I've
mostly been using regular programming languages for the last 30 years, which
offer a little more freedom in variable naming, and I still fail sometimes
to automatically think "variable" just because a non-macro identifier starts
in upper case -- which is another old Prolog convention I always had trouble
with. I apologize for being, um, you know ... merely average?

It's certainly a solution to a problem, I'd like to see it (or something
like it) succeed, and I wish you luck with it.

-michael turner