[erlang-questions] solved: Re: Help! rb won't start, and won't stop

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Fri May 20 15:20:35 CEST 2011

Dear Robby

 > Ah, rb:start() doesn't actually link. Try
 >
 > supervisor:terminate_child(sasl_sup, rb_server),
 > supervisor:delete_child(sasl_sup, rb_server).

Thanks! rb up and running again!

 > And then I would suggest using rb:start_link() instead of the normal
start.

rb doesn't seem to have start_link/0

     > rb:start_link().
     ** exception error: undefined function rb:start_link/0

I'm happy with start/0 now that it's working.  Thanks again!

Ivan

On 20/05/2011 14:08, Robert Raschke wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@REDACTED
> <mailto:ivan@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Robert
>
>     Thanks for your comments.
>
>     You're right, the shell crashes, but I can't start rb from either
>     the restarted shell or a fresh shell:
>
>         1> self().
>     <0.15437.1>
>         2> rb:start().
>         {error,already_present}
>         3> self().
>     <0.15437.1>
>
>         4> rb:stop().
>         ** exception exit:
>     {noproc,{gen_server,call,[rb_server,stop,infinity]}}
>              in function  gen_server:call/3
>              in call from rb:stop/0
>         5> self().
>     <0.15444.1>
>         6> rb:start().
>         {error,already_present}
>         7>
>
>     rb doesn't seem to show up on appmon or pman either.
>
>     Could it somehow have detached itself?  Is there some other way I
>     can find its Pid and kill it?
>

> Ah, rb:start() doesn't actually link. Try
>
> supervisor:terminate_child(sasl_sup, rb_server),
> supervisor:delete_child(sasl_sup, rb_server).
>
> That should remove the references for you.
>
> And then I would suggest using rb:start_link() instead of the normal start.
>
> Robby

Ivan A. Uemlianin

                     ivan@REDACTED
                      www.llaisdy.com
                          llaisdy.wordpress.com
                      www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

     "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                      (Schiller, Beethoven)