[erlang-questions] DRY principle and the syntax inconsistency in fun vs. vanilla functions

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Wed May 18 18:50:33 CEST 2011

I wish I could be nice here, but ... under provocation from another critic,
forgive me for summing this up as just another strawman argument.  In
particular, claiming what I propose is all about writeability, when I've
actually already made an argument from readability (in the eye of the
beholder, perhaps). Furthermore claiming that what I propose will increase
"inconsistency", when at worst what it would increase would be stylistic
variation -- about which people argue pointlessly anyway, so where's the
loss?

There have a been two sensible counter-arguments here, both of them in the
class "the existing tools wouldn't know about this move toward syntactic
consistency." My answer to both is the same: yes, good point, but -- tools
aren't carved in stone either.

I'm still waiting for the answer to the real showstopper question: would any
existing code break, under my proposal?

-michael turner