[erlang-questions] json in erlang

Phillip Toland phil.toland@REDACTED
Thu Jun 30 17:03:44 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Jack Moffitt <jack@REDACTED> wrote:
>> http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0018.html
>>
>> but it doesn't exist in erlang proper (it seems).  Does that mean the
>> eep hasn't been accepted and won't be implemented?  What does the S ->
>> standards track eep mean?
>
> I don't know the status of the EEP, but pretty much everyone I know
> has standardized on usage of mochijson2. In fact, the only project
> that I've run across that uses something different is emongo, which
> does it's own thing.

The thing about mochijson2 is that it is sloooooow. We have found that
it quickly becomes a bottleneck if you are trying to implement a
high-throughput API. Sorry I don't have any hard numbers handy. If you
decide to go with mochijson2 then I strongly recommend that you do
some performance testing.

We currently use https://github.com/benoitc/eep0018 which leverages
YAJL via a NIF and is pretty speedy. It has a similar (though not
identical) API to mochijson2. There are a number of forks of this
project on github and we tried a few before we found one that we
liked.

~p