[erlang-questions] Using a different cookie path

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Wed Jun 29 17:05:24 CEST 2011

On 29 June 2011 12:53, Michael Santos <michael.santos@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:04:04AM +0000, Lionel Cons wrote:
>> I would like to control which cookie Erlang will use. In my
>> environment, it's not practical to let Erlang use ~/.erlang.cookie.
>>
>> I've found the -setcookie option for erl but this takes the cookie
>> itself, not a file path. This is insecure since any user could list
>> the Unix processes and see the cookie on the command line.
>
> Erlang cookie auth really isn't secure anyway.

This is definitely true.

>> Is there a way to tell Erlang to get its cookie from a file other than
>> ~/.erlang.cookie?

There is another option. Pass -vmargs pointing to a 'vmargs' file
which contains the -setcookie option. This (cookie) won't appear on
the command line, although the path to the vmargs file will,
obviously.