[erlang-questions] Kill process if message mailbox reaches a certain size (was discarding signals)

Jon Watte jwatte@REDACTED
Mon Jun 20 06:35:58 CEST 2011

By "local networking" I mean "single-hop networking" -- you really want your
Erlang cluster to be "local" in the sense that all the nodes share a single,
non-blocking switch, for as far as you can push that (I know you can get
48-port 10-gig switches reasonably affordably; I imagine density is getting
even higher).

When you lease hardware on a cloud, you don't know how far away each
instance will be, and it's pretty clear that you will share network
resources with other virtual instances, so it's not a great fit for
applications that are highly communications driven or require low latency.
The latency is even more problematic, because virtualization will cause
random scheduling jitter to the order of 30 milliseconds at best, and > 1000
milliseconds at worst, last I measured. I've never measured worse than 3 ms
jitter on "bare metal" Linux-based installations.

Sincerely,

jw

--
Americans might object: there is no way we would sacrifice our living
standards for the benefit of people in the rest of the world. Nevertheless,