[erlang-questions] Kill process if message mailbox reaches a certain size (was discarding signals)

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Thu Jun 16 09:55:06 CEST 2011

Jon,

On Jun 16, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Jon Watte wrote:

> I would advise against single-core nodes or cloud-based nodes that don't have local networking,

What do you mean by "don't have local networking"?

I thought the loopback network interface is a given.

> I also recommend modeling the traffic across the backplane of the Erlang nodes. How much data do you send per user "event" to other users, and how many other users? Broadcast or point-to-point? Sum it all up, double it, and see if you can still swing that on your current network backplane. If not, buy a bigger network, or start working on ways to compress/reduce the data stream :-)

I would also keep in mind that messages between Erlang processes and inter-node "kernel pings" go over the same socket. This means that pings start to lag as the message traffic gets heavy. Erlang nodes split when pings are significantly delayed and then in your in deep doodoo.

This used to be a case a couple of years ago, I don't think anything changed since.

- for hire: mac osx device driver ninja, kernel extensions and usb drivers
http://wagerlabs.com | @wagerlabs | http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont