[erlang-questions] A PropEr announcement

Jon Watte jwatte@REDACTED
Wed Jun 15 22:45:15 CEST 2011

Yes. To clarify: My message had two parts:

1) LGPL will solve the stated problem according to the current definition of
"acceptable."

2) An argument for changing the definition of "acceptable."
If I want to contribute to PropEr, I can't, because of license. For me, that
means the license is not free at all.

Jw
 On Jun 15, 2011 1:39 PM, "Frédéric Trottier-Hébert" <
fred.hebert@REDACTED> wrote:
> But BSD and MIT do allow commercial users to change and extend the
software, write extensions in ways that they can be closed. This is
something the PropEr developers want to avoid given the previous messages.
So clearly, BSD, MIT and DWTFYW licenses are not acceptable.

> --
> Fred Hébert
> http://www.erlang-solutions.com
>

> On 2011-06-15, at 16:36 PM, Jon Watte wrote:
>
>> Isn't that almost exactly what the lesser/limited/library gpl is for?
>>
>> However, the "all patent rights may become contested" parts of gplv3 and
mpl make those licenses unlikely to be used by real companies, even if they
generally support sharing source. Else one of my competitors can take
something I release, use it in a system infringing my product patents, and
life
>> becomes really complex really quickly. I would recommend upgrading to
lgpl v2.1, or even BSD/MIT, if you really care about people being free to
use PropEr for real. As it is, gpl3 based software is not "free" (as in
speech) at all for most people.

>> Anyway, it sounds as if the "L" addition might solve the stated problem,
assuming no desired user/collaborator has any patents they care about.