[erlang-questions] net_adm:ping/1 hostname

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Fri Jun 3 10:03:49 CEST 2011

Dear Marutha

How are you starting the shell?

If I start with an sname I get the same error as you:

     $ erl -sname bla
     Erlang R13B01 (erts-5.7.2) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2]
[async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]

     Eshell V5.7.2  (abort with ^G)
     (bla@REDACTED)1> net_adm:ping('tcpserver@REDACTED').
     pang
     (bla@REDACTED)2>
     =ERROR REPORT==== 3-Jun-2011::08:58:03 ===
     ** System NOT running to use fully qualified hostnames **
     ** Hostname 192.168.10.125 is illegal **

     (bla@REDACTED)2>

To use fully qualified hostnames you should start the shell with -name
instead of -sname:

     $ erl -name bla
     Erlang R13B01 (erts-5.7.2) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2]
[async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]

     Eshell V5.7.2  (abort with ^G)
     (bla@REDACTED)1> net_adm:ping('tcpserver@REDACTED').
     pang
     (bla@REDACTED)2>

You can use IP addresses or names in the remote node term.

To get "pong" instead of "pang" you need to make sure the nodes are
allowed to connect.  See the documentation, or I recently blogged about
it here:

     http://llaisdy.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/connecting-erlang-nodes/

Best wishes

Ivan

On 03/06/2011 05:24, Maruthavanan Subbarayan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to run a distributed system and I tried to do the below and got
> a error
>
> 1>net_adm:ping('tcpserver@REDACTED').
> pang
>
> =ERROR REPORT==== 3-Jun-2011::09:48:45 ===
> ** System NOT running to use fully qualified hostnames **
> ** Hostname 192.168.10.125 is illegal **
>
> Do I need to use only hostname and I can't use ip addresses? I would
> like to know why because few of the networks which I came through did
> not have a DNS among LAN? One way I could find to solve this is add the
> ip against hostname in system file and proceed. (but this mostly
> requires admin /root privileges). Are there any other workarounds?
>
> Thanks,
> Marutha

Ivan A. Uemlianin

                     ivan@REDACTED
                      www.llaisdy.com
                          llaisdy.wordpress.com
                      www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

     "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                      (Schiller, Beethoven)