[erlang-questions] what does l/1 really do?

Daniel Dormont dan@REDACTED
Fri Jul 29 16:27:54 CEST 2011

While reading through some old discussion here or on TrapExit when I was
first trying to understand hot code loading, I ran across the shell command
l/1. Since then I've used it to good effect in patching a live system
(Ejabberd, specifically) with new or upgraded modules. But I'd like to
understand a little better what it's doing behind the scenes. I didn't see
any mention of it in the manual, and it's a little hard to Google for single
letters :), so I thought I'd ask here.

I also have a more specific question. I have a whole bunch of gen_fsm
processes that I *believe* have a common supervisor but I won't swear to it.
If I want to upgrade the module, is there a way to institute the code change
right away across all those processes?

thanks,
Dan