[erlang-questions] [ANN] Agner, a rebar-friendly Erlang package index

Yurii Rashkovskii yrashk@REDACTED
Fri Jan 28 02:54:31 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Tim Watson <watson.timothy@REDACTED> wrote:

> So are you saying the agner doesn't install packages, but it indexes,
> searches and fetches them? That's quite different to homebrew, which
> installs them - it was your comparison with homebrew that had me
> confused, but now I see that you're referring to the repository aspect
> of tools like it.

I can see where it can be confusing. What I was referring to is more
of a publishing similarity to Homebrew — a GitHub centered approach
(albeit Agner and Homebrew have certain differences in how things are
managed)

> I'm not entirely sure what you meant by "installation is [sic]
> unnecessary as every projects needs its own set of dependencies". Both
> sutro and its predecessor (epm) can handle transitive dependencies
> fine, and allow you get "specific" about custom pre/build/install
> commands where the default doesn't work. Maybe I've misunderstood?

What I meant is that Agner is not intended to be used to install
packages system or user-wise, it's primarily intended for fetching
dependencies per-project, especially when using it in conjunction with
rebar.

> - rebar (with get-deps)
> - Erlware (build tool, package manager and binary artefact repository)
> - Erlang Package Manager (epm - github/bitbucket)
> - Sutro (a la homebrew)
> - Agner (a la homebrew)

Agner is more of a conceptual mixture of homebrew and clojars, to be
more precise

And you don't have to choose between Agner & rebar, there is an
agner-enabled rebar that can fetch {agner, ... references straight
from deps defined in rebar.config; and that I believe is one of the
very important aspects of Agner.