[erlang-questions] [ANN] Agner, a rebar-friendly Erlang package index

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Fri Jan 28 02:48:55 CET 2011

On 27 January 2011 17:38, Yurii Rashkovskii <yrashk@REDACTED> wrote:
> Dear Tim,
>
> It might be similar to sutro in general but there is a lot of
> differences in what it does and how it does it. You can probably get
> an idea of differences by glancing through agner's readme:
> https://github.com/agner/agner#readme -- there are certain differences
> in how specifications are organized, how indices can be layered,
> availability of 'installation' (which I believe in unnecessary as
> every project needs its own set of dependencies), rebar integration
> and so on. Hope this helps.

So are you saying the agner doesn't install packages, but it indexes,
searches and fetches them? That's quite different to homebrew, which
installs them - it was your comparison with homebrew that had me
confused, but now I see that you're referring to the repository aspect
of tools like it.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by "installation is [sic]
unnecessary as every projects needs its own set of dependencies". Both
sutro and its predecessor (epm) can handle transitive dependencies
fine, and allow you get "specific" about custom pre/build/install
commands where the default doesn't work. Maybe I've misunderstood?

Nevertheless, this looks very interesting. I think it is good to have
a choice about projects/approaches to various tasks, and this is
becoming more common amongst the open source Erlang community. Perhaps
this is a sign of its growing maturity (yes, I know the
*platform/language* has been around forever - that's not what I mean).
When managing dependencies and/or getting hold of Erlang *stuff*, I
can now consider quite a few:

- rebar (with get-deps)
- Erlware (build tool, package manager and binary artefact repository)
- Erlang Package Manager (epm - github/bitbucket)
- Sutro (a la homebrew)
- Agner (a la homebrew)