[erlang-questions] Re: Shell is terminated (and then restarts) mysteriously

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Sat Jan 22 05:55:17 CET 2011

It can be simplified even more. We use this test.erl:

-module(test).
-export([test/0]).

test() ->
    fun (_, []) -> ok;
	(F, [_|Xs]) ->
            F(F, Xs)
%%	    F(F, Xs, xxx)
    end.

And use it like:

rv ~/erlang$ erl
Erlang R14B (erts-5.8.1) [source] [smp:4:4] [rq:4] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.8.1  (abort with ^G)
1> c(test).
{ok,test}
2> test:test().
#Fun<test.0.93149374>>

Here we move the comment to use the incorrect recursive call and continue:

3> c(test).
{ok,test}
4> c(test).
*** ERROR: Shell process terminated! ***
Eshell V5.8.1  (abort with ^G)
1>

The cause of the behaviour is that the first call to test:test/0 returns a fun which is saved in the history list. Changing that fun and recompiling/reloading the file loads in a new version. The old fun now points to the old version of the module. Recompiling/reloading the file again means that the fun on the history list would now point to a non-existent module so the shell process is killed by the code server.

In the case of an error the history list contains the actual exit reason. You can see this with h(). In your first case the exit reason contained the fun so the shell process was killed.

Funs don't fit really well into code handling so it can sometimes be hard to detect to which version of the code it points, especially if the fun itself hasn't been modified or the module has been significantly modified. In your second case the fun in the exit reason wasn't the one you changed.

Robert