[erlang-questions] Erlang project dependency management/build tools

Baishampayan Ghose b.ghose@REDACTED
Wed Jan 19 08:07:24 CET 2011

> For my own education, and to improve our products, why is the global
> location an issue? OTP applications are all versioned and if you are
> pulling them from a repo then there shouldn't be any problem with
> multiple projects using the same local store.

It's easier to have all your dependencies bundled with the release.
That removes the necessity of root access on the server as well as
having sinan/faxien itself installed on the server. It vastly
simplifies deployment on a cloud infrastructure like Amazon EC2 where
you'd like to start up machines on demand and deploy your Erlang
applications. This is akin to having a statically linked executable :)

Regards,
BG

--
Baishampayan Ghose