[erlang-questions] UML or other modeling tools

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Sat Jan 15 21:36:26 CET 2011

It's not an entirely easy question to answer, because there are (at least)
three levels to consider:

- what the UML standard says
- *which version* of the UML standard (since there are semantic differences)
- what the specific tool actually supports

The UML standard doesn't specify in which order state machines
should process messages, but in practice, this usually means FIFO.
Messages are processed with run-to-completion semantics, so so
far, it's pretty similar to Erlang's gen_server.

However, there is no selective receive support in UML. You can specify
an event as 'deferrable' in a given state (this is not exactly prominent
in the spec, and not all tools support it). You can also explicitly defer
and recall messages.

One consequence of this is that it's near impossible to model a
generic RPC* in UML. In UML 2.0, there is a synchronousCall()
method, so you can get by to some extent anyway…

* or gen_server:call()

UML's method of tackling state machine complexity is to support
hierarchical state machines, but this mainly gives some modularity
assuming that the order of messages is ok; it cannot really help
you if messages can arrive out of order or in undefined order.

BR,
Ulf W