[erlang-questions] Erlang and the learning curve

Gilberio Carmenates García co7eb@REDACTED
Tue Jan 4 19:49:47 CET 2011

Hi Jack, When I started with Erlang, me and a friend starting doing some
project that we called LanSearch, was a server to a LanSearch's client that
scanned the network looking for a particularly stuff (videos, music, source
codes; cs, c, java, etc.) and we started to build a server to communicate
all those clients, chat functionality and search share (upload/download) and
many others things. So the interesting here is that we gain many clients
with that software and we actually did that software without any knowledge
about Erlang, just with a simple knowledge about mnesia and rpc calls, using
the JInterface for .Net c#. So now I have some others ideas like a MMORG
Games and stuffs like that, that seems pretty easy to build using Erlang for
me right now; with a little more knowledge about server and supervisor
behaviors and mnesia, all you need to know it's there, you just must want to
do it and the other comes along, I wish I could have a graphical programmer,
then I would send you an small example that you can do with Erlang and other
language like C#, think about Erlang as if you just need it for build very
ultrafast servers and the other visual languages to build clients, for me
EVO (ExtendedVisualOtp) is the best for communications Erlang/C#, EVO is a
little framework, that I made, to build client/server applications using
.Net and Erlang, Some day I will translate the .Net part to java.

Best,

Ivan.