Erlang and the learning curve

JETkoten jetkoten@REDACTED
Tue Jan 4 02:52:53 CET 2011

Hi All,

I've been reading/watching everything I can find (off and online) for
learning Erlang for the past two or three weeks, but am just not getting
it, in terms of being able to do anything with Erlang in the real world.

I've watched some videos about functional programming where the hosts
joked about people looking into functional programming deciding it's too
hard and then never touching it again... but seriously, how do people
bridge the gap between understanding the basics and implementing real
world projects with Erlang? I know the three major books are available,
but none of them are really using Erlang for what I'd like to do...

How have any of you who have come to know big-picture how great Erlang
is been able to get enough knowledge of it to actually do what you'd
like to do?

Any and all replies are most welcome.

Thanks,
Jack