[erlang-questions] Building small erlang vm suitable for bundle with app.

Gustav Simonsson gustav.simonsson@REDACTED
Wed Dec 14 09:41:42 CET 2011

Yes, you can remove either the SMP or the non-SMP beam depending on your target architecture.
Also the only things you need to just run Erlang is ERTS and the stdlib and kernel libs.

If you want to reduce the disk usage as much as possibly you can read on methods
in chapter 3.2 and results in chapter 5.1 in the following thesis:
http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-156435

Regards,
Gustav Simonsson

Sent from my PC

----- Original Message -----
From: "dmitry kolesnikov" <dmkolesnikov@REDACTED>
To: "Gustav Simonsson" <gustav.simonsson@REDACTED>, "Albin Stigö" <albin.stigo@REDACTED>
Cc: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Sent: Wednesday, 14 December, 2011 9:22:03 AM
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Building small erlang vm suitable for bundle with app.

Hi,

I have not yet spent too much time to investigate how to build 2MB self-sustainable package but systools gives me about 14MB with possible reduction to 7 - 9MB on debian 64bit.

as an example *.rel package contains following libraries:

{kernel, "2.14.5"},
{stdlib, "1.17.5"},
{sasl, "2.1.10"},
{crypto, "2.0.4"},
{public_key, "0.13"},
{ssl, "4.1.6"},
{inets, "5.7.1"},
{compiler, "4.7.5"},
{syntax_tools, "1.6.7.1"},
{xmerl, "1.2.10"},
{mochiweb, "2.3.0"}

systools:make_tar($$n, [{erts, code:root_dir()}]) %% do not put any extra dirs here

most heavy components are VM by itself

-rwxr-xr-x 1 kolesnik wheel 7.7M Oct 19 20:53 beam
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kolesnik wheel 9.6M Oct 19 20:53 beam.smp

- Dmitry