[erlang-questions] Erlang web framework

Tristan Sloughter tristan.sloughter@REDACTED
Sat Dec 10 23:06:46 CET 2011

I've tried pretty much every Erlang web framework (some more than others).

Could you explain what you mean about Lift's security, 'ajax+html component
security'?

The main frameworks are: ChicagoBoss (Railish), Nitrogen (evet-based
architecture), Zotonic (a CMS/framework in my opinion, they may just say
CMS), Erlang Web (the one I have least played with but does seem the most
OTP fitting) and Erlyweb.

I haven't personally been happy with building full projects in any of these
(though Zotonic has been GREAT for projects that just need a CMS like my
wedding website, and Chicago BOSS looks great for MVC style Erlang web
development) and now I'm doing my own which is based on Webmachine and
Batman.js with security based on resource access control using Seresye (
https://github.com/afiniate/seresye) and an Erlang security framework
Genbu.

So the idea is the client is built completely in Batman.js and communicates
(JSON) with the Webmachine based RESTful interface of the backend (which I
am greatly simplifying the necessary steps needed to build). And then all
security on the backend is based on the idea of writing a rules engine with
Seresye which will be simplified for web resource/db use as part of Genbu
(which I am moving all web session, authentication logic from Maru to).

I hope to have the pieces for Genbu and Maru and an example, for others to
start using it, committed tomorrow or sometime this week, but
http://claimstrade.github.com/maru/ is the "idea" -- well its more than an
idea I am building this while building a real business on top of it. So it
is taking what I find I need as I build the business and then adding it to
the framework, or taking out and moving to the framework. Also is based on
a couple years of Webmachine based web development and what I saw went
wrong in some cases as we did so.

That said, and even though this is an Erlang list so I hope I'm not yelled
at :), I have to also point you at Opa (http://opalang.org/) because I
really like it for building sites. And it is very secure
and statically typed (even your frontend code is compiled and type
checked!).

Tristan