[erlang-questions] "Can't set long node name" on Ubuntu using erl -name without suffix

Per Hedeland per@REDACTED
Sat Dec 10 00:45:35 CET 2011

Daniel Dormont <dan@REDACTED> wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Wes James <comptekki@REDACTED> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Daniel Dormont <dan@REDACTED> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I am just now starting to get into using long node names in my Erlang
>>> setup, running R14B02 on Ubuntu 11.10. Due to the way some of the
>>> internal scripts for Ejabberd are written, it would be convenient if I
>>> can start nodes using 'erl -name foo' without having to put anything
>>> after the @ sign. On some of my machines this works fine, but on
>>> others I get the error:
>>>

>> You will need to use -sname with that short name and the nodes will
>> only be available on the same subnet.
>>
>> -name requires the full node@REDACTED
>>

>Perhaps it's an unexpected or undocumented feature, but this is not
>true.

You are quite correct - actually the fact that you *can* give node@REDACTED
to either of -name or -sname is an undocumented (and perhaps unexpected)
feature.:-) Just Read The Fine erl(1) Man page, it is quite clear that
you are supposed to give only the 'node' part, and that the runtime
system is supposed to append the rest. But sometimes things don't work
as they are supposed to (as in your case before you fixed it), in which
case giving node@REDACTED can be a workaround.

(And of course the 'foo' in 'erl -name foo' is neither long nor short,
the length refers to the part *after* the '@'.)

--Per Hedeland