[erlang-questions] BERT vs protobuf in the erlang world

Jon Watte jwatte@REDACTED
Tue Aug 23 02:57:06 CEST 2011

We use protobuf; we wrote our own Erlang generator which is not super
efficient, but better than what was available at the time.
We use C++, Python, and PHP generators on other systems (we wrote the PHP
generator ourselves, too).
Sorry, no feedback on the Java and AS3 generators, but in the system as a
whole, the protobufs work just as expected, including preservation of
unknown fields, and because each 16-hardware-thread node (dual quad-core
hyper-threaded Xeons) only has gigabit Ethernet, we can't really feed a
single node faster than it can parse and process requests. Memory bandwidth
is 50 GB/s or better; Ethernet TCP bandwidth is 110 MB/s :-)

Sincerely,

jw

--
Americans might object: there is no way we would sacrifice our living
standards for the benefit of people in the rest of the world. Nevertheless,