[erlang-questions] Ubuntu, Erlang, and Laptop Questions

Wes James comptekki@REDACTED
Fri Apr 22 20:57:59 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 7:17 AM,  <pmacgown@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am saving up for a new laptop to run Erlang.  Can't drag my tower around.
> Two questions:
>

> 1 - I want to run Ubuntu.  Will Erlang work well with this? (Assuming Ubuntu
> v10/11)

you will have R13B03, and if you try to compile from scratch to get
R14B02, expect to do a bit of work (especially wxwidgets)

You may want to try this:

http://sivieri.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/erlang-r14b02-in-ppa/

if you want R14B02.

I just tried it and it seems to work fine so far.

You can also try this procedure (installing packages) to get R14B02
working on Ubuntu 10.10

http://sites.google.com/site/comptekkia/erlang/how-to-install-erlang-on-ubuntu-10-10

> 2 - What's a decent laptop manufacturer/model to run this on?  I've always
> bought Dell in the past, but I am not wed to this manufacturer.

-wes