[erlang-questions] Quick question about resetting shells

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Fri Apr 15 12:18:32 CEST 2011

Hi!

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:06, Dave Challis <dsc@REDACTED> wrote:

> I'm fairly new to erlang, so when I'm working on something, my development
> cycle usually goes something like:
>
> 1. Write/change code
> 2. Compile using rebar / erlc
> 3. Start a shell using erl -pa ebin
> 4. Paste in commands to test changes
> 5. Quit shell, go to 1
>
> Steps 3-5 usually take the longest, so I'm wondering, is there any way to
> stay in a shell, but to reset it to the default state?  I.e. the equivalent
> of calling l(module_name) to load the latest version of the compiled module,
> calling f() to clear all variables, and also destroying any ETS tables that
> might have been created.
>
> Or is there some better way to test code changes from the shell after .beam
> files have been recompiled while it's running?

I would strongly recommend to start using a test server - eunit or
common_test are included in OTP. It really does wonders with the length of
the development cycle :-) Plus it's much more reproducible and all the other
advantages of having automated tests.

regards,
Vlad