[erlang-questions] Erlang beginner questions

Mode7James James@REDACTED
Wed Apr 13 09:17:46 CEST 2011

Thanks Mike!  I discovered learnyousomeerlang.com today at work and have been
reading through it.  That TCP tutorial is also good.  I guess it's just a
bit overwhelming, trying to put it all together.  I read through the TCP
tutorial by 20bits tonight and will try to get it working tomorrow after
work.

Please bear with me - these are all questions I've had while reading and
researching Erlang in my spare time the last couple months.

1) gen_server is a behavior.  It's a little confusing that gen_udp and
gen_tcp are both modules, but use the same naming conventions.   I've seen
quite a few documents on how one uses "gen_server" as a behavior - is there
any that actually show what the text file looks like?  Can I create my own
behaviors?  I come from a flash background (Java) so I'm very familiar with
interfaces.  Can one module implement multiple behaviors, or is it only
one-to-one direct relationship?  Is there somewhere that I can see the
complete master list of built-in OTP behaviors and what they do?

2) In the 20bits article, how is the port number generated?  Are port
numbers unique to an application, or are there different port numbers for
different protocols?  Is this secure?  How do Erlang services deal with DDOS
attacks?  Are there any tried-and-true methods that are used?

3) Can someone log in via TCP connection, authenticate credentials upgrading
to SSL, and then also open a UDP connection for the gameplay mechanics?

4) I've read that distributed Erlang is using "all or nothing" security, ie
nodes with access can essentially do whatever they want.  Is there a way to
keep a service running on a dedicated server, and remotely hotswap code via
my macbook?  Any examples of this being done?

Thanks for putting up with my questions.  :)