[erlang-questions] Specifying 'erts' as an application

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Sun Apr 3 14:32:27 CEST 2011

The Erlang/OTP documentation specifies 'erts' as an application:

   http://erlang.org/doc/applications.html

In a project we are working on, we have an application resource file
that reads:

   {application, APP_NAME,
    [{description, ...},
     {applications, [erts, kernel, stdlib, ...]
    ]}.

A user informed us that "erts isn't actually an application that can be
dependent upon and that having it in the applications list breaks releases".

I personally consider this a bug, of Erlang/OTP that is, but I will
gladly be enlightened why 'erts' is listed as an OTP application but
cannot be listed in the application resource file and releases break
miserably when one does so.

Kostis