[erlang-questions] How to wake up hibernated process without sending message from external process

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Oct 25 14:54:08 CEST 2010

I imagine that erlang:start_timer/3 ought to work well.
It is pretty scalable, in that the runtime system can handle many thousands -
most likely much more than that - of timers without noticeable degradation.

There are two different timer BIFs: start_timer/3 and send_after/3.
The main difference is that start_timer/3 includes the Ref returned by the
function in the message itself, e.g.

1> TRef = erlang:start_timer(1000, self(), "hi").
#Ref<0.0.0.344>
2> receive {timeout,TRef,Msg} -> io:fwrite("Timer says ~p.~n", [Msg]) end.
Timer says "hi".
ok

...whereas send_after/3 simply sends whatever message you specify:

3> erlang:send_after(1000,self(),"ho").
#Ref<0.0.0.352>
4> flush().
Shell got "ho"
ok

Personally, I always use erlang:start_timer/3.

BR,
Ulf W