[erlang-questions] multiple processes using a raw mode file

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Thu Oct 21 08:56:40 CEST 2010

What I'm seeing is that a descriptor opened in raw mode is only useful to the process that opened it. Position and truncate, for example, have no effect if I try them in a spawned process.

I'd like for other processes on the same node to be able to use the same raw descriptor.

While we are at it, an "atomic" (within the port driver) file:position+truncate would be most awesome!

On Oct 21, 2010, at 6:41 AM, Bengt Kleberg wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> The return value of file:open/2 is said to be a process (presumably that
> means a pid). The pid returned for a raw file open could be just a file
> descriptor (a guess). It would not be usable outside of the Erlang node.
> A real pid can be sent to any node. The file descriptor would only work
> for Erlang processes inside the same node, if my guess is right.

---
http://twitter.com/wagerlabs