[erlang-questions] multiple processes using a raw mode file

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Thu Oct 21 07:41:37 CEST 2010

Greetings,

The return value of file:open/2 is said to be a process (presumably that
means a pid). The pid returned for a raw file open could be just a file
descriptor (a guess). It would not be usable outside of the Erlang node.
A real pid can be sent to any node. The file descriptor would only work
for Erlang processes inside the same node, if my guess is right.

bengt