[erlang-questions] If you could rename ports, what would you call them?

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Tue Oct 5 23:17:46 CEST 2010

  I think that if something has process semantics, i.e. behaves like a
process with asynch messages, exit signals, etc., then it's reference
should be a pid. This irrespective of how it is started. Even today,
with "normal" processes you don't have to know how they have been
started to use them, just which protocol you need to communicate with them.

Ports, of course, are a natural for pids as they already have process
semantics. ( I won't go into a long tirade about how wrong the docs are
when claiming that the port_XXXX BIFs have a cleaner and more logical
behaviour than the message protocol. :-) )

ETS tables are also a natural to be described as pids, it is easy to
define a message based protocol for them, and they already handle exit
signals.

The important thing with process "things" is that they HAVE process
semantics and not HOW it is implemented under the covers. So for
example, "sending a message" to an ETS pid could very well be
implemented in a similar fashion as it is today.

There should only be two types of things in Erlang, processes and
immutable data.

Robert