[erlang-questions] How long a NIF can block the Erlang BEAM?

Paul Guyot pguyot@REDACTED
Wed Nov 24 15:04:36 CET 2010

> Thanks Alceste and Mattias.
>
> I was thinking about using SFMT instead of the random module, and was
> worrying about the scheduling disruption issue.  Functions in the random
> module is found at many places among the Erlang/OTP libraries, so I
> thought I had to be conservative.
>
> The enif_thread_create() and enif_send() pair Alceste wrote looks very
> interesting, though I also guess it's a bit too complicated for a random
> number generator.

Please note that using enif_send() for this purpose only works with SMP emulators.

Paul
--
Semiocast                    http://semiocast.com/
+33.175000290 - 62 bis rue Gay-Lussac, 75005 Paris