[erlang-questions] fast file sending - erlang & nginx

Morten Krogh mk@REDACTED
Sun Nov 21 21:25:49 CET 2010

Hi Robert

You mean mmap. I don't see how that would help. Either you have the file
in a memory buffer when the request arrives, like you did in the example
or you don't.
If you don't, sendfile should be the best call. If mmaping and sending
on the socket, after getting the request, outperforms sendfile, then
sendfile doesn't have a reason to exist.
Of course, you could also mmap in advance which is similar to reading
the file in advance.
You still had a factor of 2 up to nginx, and that then cannot have
anything to do with
how the files are read, but must have to do with the epoll/kqueue of the
sockets, or with the speed of the erlang code,  including the parsing of
the request header.

Do you have an idea of the speed of your header parsing? If you spend
100 microseconds on that, it will explain part of the remaining
difference. If you spend 1 microsecond, it is irrelevant.

Morten.