[erlang-questions] random entry from mensia

James Churchman jameschurchman@REDACTED
Thu Nov 18 19:53:41 CET 2010

Ok thanks jesper that explains a lot!

I ran rp([{N,mnesia:dirty_slot(offline_msg,N)}||N<-lists:seq(0,255)]). on a table with only 103 items in it and now i understand what it does. Only about 3 of the items had anything in the at all & it seemed that item 199 had about 90 % of everything, so i can see it is nothing like what i wanted. I would assume that a heavily loaded table the distribution may be a bit more even but even so i could potentially end up with a few % of my table begin returned with that command. Out of interest would increasing the number of buckets say 100 fold have a strong detrimental effect on the overall performance of the table & is this a user controllable parameter?

In conclusion however, just added an auto incremented indexed column is the most  sensible solution to the problem i think

James