[erlang-questions] Erlang shows its slow face!

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Wed Nov 17 13:47:08 CET 2010

Hello Frédéric,

> Spawning parallel processes is, in my opinion, a false ideal when it
> comes to algorithms like the ones presented here. In a micro-benchmark
> or in software that is oriented on doing only this task, multiprocessing
> might gain you points. In a loaded production system where all the
> processors are likely already busy, I wouldn't be surprised to see no
> big gain by using multiple processes, and if any, the gain would likely
> be very hard to predict.
>
> I think it's better to aim for the scaling kind of concurrency, not the
> speed-up kind. If you use processes for truly concurrent tasks (rather
> than attempting speedups of a single call), You'll benefit from
> concurrency on a higher level on a server than from each function
> individually.
>
> This has to be pretty application specific, though.

Hmmm... I see what you mean.

I look at it from an interaction perspective. If the application in
question is an interactive one, I really hate to see it struggling with a
problem for a long period of time with one of my cores saying "help!"
while the other one just sits there, and more importantly, while *I* just
sit there -- regardless of the algorithm it is working. (Any other
Photoshop users been annoyed by this?)

For a non-interactive/server application, I can see why you might not want
to do this. But then again, if the muscle is there, and interactive
clients are waiting... tough call. I guess it's very application specific
as you said.

One interesting thing I found from Garcia's results is that for this
particular problem, crunching it using many processes on a single core was
basically the same as doing it with one process on a single core. I was
pleasantly surprised by that and didn't expect it.

- Edmond -