[erlang-questions] crash dump at ejabberd startup

tom@REDACTED tom@REDACTED
Wed Nov 17 00:45:34 CET 2010

Hello,

just as a quick feedback:

> Which version of Erlang are you using? R14B?
>
> epmd in R14B was changed to allow some messages (like name registrations)
> only from 127/8.

as unix user "ejabberd":

$ erl
Erlang R14B (erts-5.8.1) [source] [smp:4:4] [rq:4] [async-threads:0] [hipe]
[kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.8.1  (abort with ^G)

So, does that mean, there's only a problem with this certain version ?
Then we had the explanation why it worked with an older version half a year
ago but not with the current version.

> > Where can I configure Erlang to use the Jails IP instead
> > localhost/127.0.0.1
> >
> > ? In that mysterious "inetrc" config file ?
>
> inetrc is used for hostname resolution. See:
>
> http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/inet_cfg.html

thank you very much, will immediately digg into this and then check back to
you.

> Was epmd started up inside the jail? Did you bring up ejabberd as well?
> I don't see any registration attempts.

Everything happened in this Jail only:
- building erlang, ejabberd, erlang-mysql driver
- starting ejabberd (trying to start it)
- all other command lines and resuling output I sent to this list so far

On the localhost pre-configuration of erlang/epmd:

Do I have an option to change that behaviour and let erlang/epmd try to
connect to the actual IP ? This wouldn't harm anything as anyway there's a
tight firewall protecting access from outside the jail.

May be the answer on this question will come out from reading the inetrc
links you sent me but I did not already go through it. Will do that tonight.

kind regards
Tom