[erlang-questions] ANNOUNCE: ibrowse-2.1.0

Ingela Andin ingela.andin@REDACTED
Fri Nov 12 10:34:34 CET 2010

Hi!

I suppose I will need to give you some what of the OTP take on this subject.
I think it is very hard to give any general advise here.  The
thing I can say in general is that we are pretty quick at fixing
reported bugs but if no
one uses it the bugs will not be reported.
One thing that we are planning (not making any promising on when though)
for the httpc is a simpler "wget-like-API function" as the current client
offers more than the need is in many cases, and maybe then ibrowser
will feel simpler.

Admittingly it was a bad idea to put in some contributed badly tested
http-client in the
distribution even though it was unsupported at first, just because it
was a big demand for having
one and we did not have the time make one.

However when we change the underlaying implementation we try not to
take away any functionality and
when looking at ibrowser and the client we had tried to improve they
had quite different approaches
and replacing what we had then with ibrowse was not trivial and would
have required a lot of additions
and refactorizations of ibrowse and it did not feel eaiser then to to
continue on the
improvments we where already doing. (Both clients have evolved since)
. Legacy is
a bitch and I think we learned the lesson all too well ;)

Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP-team, Ericsson AB