[erlang-questions] ANNOUNCE: ibrowse-2.1.0

Chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Wed Nov 10 18:01:37 CET 2010

On 10 November 2010 16:29, David Mercer <dmercer@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 10, 2010, Chandru wrote:
>
>> ibrowse is a HTTP client written in erlang as an alternative to the
>> built in HTTP client httpc.
>
> What is the difference between the two?  That is, how do I decide whether to
> use ibrowse or httpc?

Here is a totally biased view!

ibrowse was developed a long time ago when the built in HTTP client
sucked big time. It wasn't even called httpc then.

httpc has come a long way, but you still hear about problems people
are having with it. I've never used it as ibrowse was good enough for
me. A long time ago the OTP team looked at ibrowse to see if they
could integrate it into OTP, but then decided against it.

I would suggest you try both and use what works for you. The only
advantage the builtin client offers is that you don't need to install
a 3rd party package, whereas ibrowse benefits from an active community
which is using it a lot.

cheers
Chandru