[erlang-questions] Re: Conceptual questions on key-value databases for RDBMs users

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Tue Nov 9 17:01:08 CET 2010

Another observation...

I think a lot of it has to do with conceptual difference between SQL-RDBMS
and NoSQL/kv-db/free-structure in terms of how both camps view the *role*
of the database.

I've found that SQL-RDMBSs tend to think of the database as central to the
design+development of an application. So naturally things must follow the
db. My issue with this is that as an app developer, I found myself always
begging and pleading with the database. The conversation would go
something like...

Me: "Please, please store this data for me so I can query it later."

DB: "Not so fast. First, split that into three tables. Add a constraint
here, foreign key there. Replace that with a type I can understand then
I'll see what I can do. BTW, you'll have to have another conversation with
my bro, the SQL query engine later. Go on... Off you go!"

The other camp seems to view the database role as more of a supplementary
one in the design+development of an application. A helper. A tool. The
conversation for me has gone more like...

Me: "Oi, Couch! Come over here. Hang onto this for me. I'll need that
back."

DB: "Sure thing boss!"

- Edmond -