[erlang-questions] Re: Conceptual questions on key-value databases for RDBMs users

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Mon Nov 8 11:16:40 CET 2010

I agree - I'd go further. For most of what I want to do the weaker the
type the better - even dynamic types are too structured. A lot of what
I want can be done with unstructured text and full-text indexing
(which has even less structure that a weak type)

I find that in all the applications I've programmed so far I want the
following (In priority order)

0) Easy of setup
    I'm lazy - but I don't want to struggle through hour long sessions of
    Googling for bug-fixes to get stuff working.
1) Key - Value lookup/retrieval
    What I put in I can get out - the key is simple the Value can be
very complex
2) Full text searches
    I want to search strings for free text
3) Encapsulation
    I like all the database in a single file - so I can send it in a
message move it around etc.
4) Replication
    I want stuff to be stored forever
5) Scalability
    I want it to scale

Most apps I can do with 1 and 2 - I really like 3 for distributing the
result of something.
Ets+Dets is pretty ok for 1+3+0. Mnesia for 4. For 5 I guess
riak/couchDB are good
but I haven't felt the need yet.

I've actually used poor-man's replication, this is pure KISS stuff.
Put the database in a dets file
and replicate using dropbox.

I feel that 2) is the big thing that missing at the moment - dets/ets
with in-built full text
indexing would be *wonderful* - I've made a full-text indexing engine
(See https://github.com/joearms/elib1/tree/master/supported/indexer/)
But it's not integrated with ets/dets.

Does anybody know of any pure-erlang add-ons to ets/dets that do
full-text indexing?
the tricky but seems to be word extraction and not
making/sorting/building the index
also building an incremental index might be difficult (I haven't done this).

I have never seen a "one-size-fits-all" database - and I haven't even mentioned
security availability ...

I just don't believe that one paradigm can suit all needs - what I
want is a toolkit of
pluggable components that do single things and do them well - ets and
dets are two such
components - missing components are the full-text-indexer, the
replication manager, ...

A number of components that can be glued together is what I want not a
pre-packaged solution.

Right now what I want is dets/ets with full-text indexing and search ...

/Joe