[erlang-questions] Re: Shared/Hybrid Heap

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Thu Nov 4 15:31:50 CET 2010

Hi Paulo,

I was referring more here to global *within* a process, not between processes. Sorry for being unclear. If you allow mutable data within a process then it will necessarily be global within that process. Even if I have to pass a reference to it I will still have no control over who or when it mutated. Things can happen under my feet without my knowing about it. This is the same problem as for sequential languages which have mutable data.

Allowing non-sharing between processes would lessen some of the problems, but not wholly remove them.

Also smart garbage collection is easier if you have immutable data. I know this is an implementation detail, but immutable data makes the garbage collector simpler and more efficient, you can do smart things if you know data does not change.

Robert