R: [erlang-questions] A future for gs?

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Tue Jun 15 12:23:11 CEST 2010

"The problem with GS is that as soon as you want to do something serious you
end up in
bypassing the limited gs API and going directly towards tcl/tk."

But that problem, in turn, is because there has been no further development
of GS to expand the limited Erlang API, right?  If so, then what I'm hearing
here is a tautology: "There will be no further development because there
will be no further development."

There has to be more to this issue than that.

What if there *was* further development of GS, to improve the API?  Is the
problem simply that nobody has volunteered to do this?

Or is it that there's been some formal, official decision to not accept any
improvements in future releases of Erlang/OTP?

If it's the latter, where was this decision documented and what were the
reasons given?  And isn't it the very rock-bottom minimum of courtesy  to
point out clearly, at the very beginning of online documentation for a
package, that official support for it has ceased?  Had I known that, I might
have bitten the wx bullet, in all its leaden toxicity.  As it is, I might
have just wasted about two weeks exploring an all-but-dead graphics API.

Can someone at least tell me how, in Erlang, one goes "directly towards
tcl/tk", if I'm interpreting that phrasing correctly?  Meaning, I assume,
that there's some part of the GS API that allows me to send Tcl commands and
get responses back?  Or if there is no such way, is there someone here who
knows for a fact that there isn't?

-michael turner