[erlang-questions] monitor and failure detectors

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Jun 3 10:24:58 CEST 2010

Monitors have no timeout. They trigger immediately when either
the process dies or the node of the process is disconnected.

Is it the latter event that you are referring to?
This can be configured using -kernel net_ticktime T, where
T is 60 seconds by default.

See http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/kernel_app.html

"net_ticktime = TickTime

Specifies the net_kernel tick time.
TickTime is given in seconds. Once every TickTime/4 second,
all connected nodes are ticked (if anything else has been
written to a node) and if nothing has been received from
another node within the last four (4) tick times that node
is considered to be down. This ensures that nodes which are
not responding, for reasons such as hardware errors, are
considered to be down.

The time T, in which a node that is not responding is
detected, is calculated as: MinT < T < MaxT where:

MinT = TickTime - TickTime / 4
MaxT = TickTime + TickTime / 4

TickTime is by default 60 (seconds). Thus, 45 < T < 75 seconds.

Note: All communicating nodes should have the same TickTime value specified.

Note: Normally, a terminating node is detected immediately."

BR,
Ulf W

--
Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Solutions Ltd, formerly Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd

WE'VE CHANGED NAMES!

www.erlang-solutions.com