[erlang-questions] Are recursive record definitions allowed?

Brian Williams mixolyde@REDACTED
Thu Jul 29 14:22:10 CEST 2010

This is essentially what I'm doing, but using the undefined atom. Leaf
technically is a node that has a value, but no children. it's not
really the name of an empty left or right node pointer. Here, new_node
generates a leaf.

new_node(Value) ->
    #btreenode{left = undefined, right = undefined, value = Value}.

insert([], Tree) -> Tree;
insert([Head | Tail], Tree) -> insert(Tail, insert(Head, Tree));
insert(Value, undefined) -> new_node(Value);
insert(Value, Tree = #btreenode{value = Value}) -> Tree;
insert(Value, #btreenode{left = Left, right = Right, value = CurrentValue})
    when Value < CurrentValue ->
        #btreenode{left = insert(Value, Left), right = Right, value =
CurrentValue};
insert(Value, #btreenode{left = Left, right = Right, value = CurrentValue})
    when Value > CurrentValue ->
        #btreenode{left = Left, right = insert(Value, Right), value =
CurrentValue}.

Writing somre more complicated operations and homework assignments
next. I have found rewriting old homework assignments from Algorithms
and AI classes to be very helpful in teaching myself the language.

--
Brian E. Williams
mixolyde@REDACTED

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor